HDPE and LDPE – Polyethylene Sheet
HDPE and LDPE
High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) and Low Density Polyethylene (LDPE) are both materials in the Polyolefin family of plastics, along with Polypropylene (PolyPro) and UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight).
Manufactured by a variety of manufacturers under the names: Polyboard®, Polymar®, Hostalen®, Polystone®, Hitec®, Sanatec®, Sanalite®, UltraEthylux®, Polycarve®, and Densetec®.
For great abrasion resistance, very low density, and FDA/NSF compliance, Polyethylene is an excellent choice.
Why use HDPE/LDPE for your application?
- Light Weight
- Stain, Odor, and Moisture Resistant
- FDA & NSF Approval for Food Contact
- Vacuum and Thermo-Formable Material
- Very Durable and Abrasion Resistant
- Self-lubricating and a low coefficient of friction
- Very High Chemical Resistance
- Low Specific Gravity (Floats in Water)
- Can be Heat Welded or RF Welded
- High Impact Strength and Energy Absorption
- Exceptional Low Temperature – Brittle at -110° F
- Does not chemically bond
- HDPE/LDPE are ITAR compliant, and HDPE/LDPE are RoHS compliant
- HDPE – Harder material, little to no flex, better tensile strength
- LDPE – Softer, very flexible, lower tensile strength
Still not sure HDPE/LDPE Polyethylene is the proper material for your application? Consult our free Plastic Materials Selection Guide
Applications – HDPE:
- Cutting Board and Food Preparation Surfaces
- FDA, USDA, NSF Compliant Machined Parts
- Heat Formed and Vacuum Formed Parts
- Dasher Board For Ice Rinks – Impact Parts
- Welded Tanks, Hoppers, Silo Linings and Slide Chutes
- Chemical and Structural Tanks and Covers
- Food Processing Equipment, Valve, and Pump Components
- Other applications include cement molds, body boards, transfer boards, death beds, mortician boards, cooler storage boards, spine board, tank liners, wear guides, and many, many more.HDPE is used in thousands of applications, from interiors of freezers, bed liners for trucks to personal protection gear.
HDPE is available in stock in natural (milky white) and black. Other colors are available with minimum runs.
Applications – LDPE:
- Packaging Applications
- Industrial bags, produce bags, garment bags
- Blow Molded Bottle
- Hot Melt Adhesives
- Wire Insulation
- Prosthetic appliances, Medical equipment, Semi-flexible tubing
Materials Available As
.030 – 2.0″ in 48″ X 96″ Smooth Surfaces Natural Sheet in HDPE, 1″ max. for LDPE
Black available in many sizes of HDPE
.015″ – .060″ in 48″ wide Natural
.250″ – 10″ diameter in Natural HDPE – 96″ lengths
From 12″ and up to 30″ diameter in 48″ lengths or 39″ lengths in HDPE
Black is available in many sizes of HDPE
.250″ OD – 10″ OD in various wall thicknesses. Most available in HDPE and many in LDPE
Conductive, Static Dissipative, Custom sizes, Formulations, Profiles or Colors.
|Typical Value HDPE||Typical Value LDPE|
|Specific Gravity||D792||.941 – .965||.91 – .925|
|Tensile Strength Yield||D638||3,800 – 5,500||1,400 – 2,000|
|Izod Impact – Notched||D256||2.0 – 3.5||>16|
|Vicat Softening Temp||D1525||257 degrees F||219 degrees F|
|Hardness – Rockwell||D785||D60 -70||D42 – 50|
|Continuous Use Temp||–||-100 – 180 degrees F||174 degrees F|
|Deflection Temp @ 66 psi||D648||171||124|
|Co. Thermal Expansion||D696||7X10-5||4.6 -5.5X10-5|
These Properties are for evaluation purposes only.
This information is not to be construed as a warranty, guarantee or assurance that you may achieve the same results. Materials made from different resin types, manufacturing techniques and manufacturers will react differently. The information should be used to compare against other materials only, and each user should make his own tests to determine suitability. No warranty as to this materials suitability are either expressed nor implied.